Search This Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2020

RO'S KETO BASICS

I don't count macros or calories. I have found it's easier just to have a list of foods I can eat, and stick with those. The one thing I do count is sugar carbs. Usually, there are two carb counts on a food label,  total carbohydrates and sugar. I ignore the first one. I try to stay below 20grams of sugar carbs every day. I like my wine, and theres 1.5 grams of carb in a glass of wine, so I keep my actual food carbs closer to 12g a day.

2. Here's a basic chart of yes and no foods:

              VEGGIES
YES                            NO.          
Tomatoes                    Carrots
Eggplant                     Potatoes
Asparagus                   Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli                    
Cauliflower
Spinach
Green Beans
Cucumber
Bell peppers
Kale
Zucchini
Celery

Brussels sprouts
Lettuce/green salads
Olives
Artchoke hearts
Pickles

                 FRUITS
YES (rarely)                 NO.         
Blueberries                   everything else
Raspberries

               PROTEIN/DAIRY
YES                                                       
fish & seafood
all cheeses (no low-fat cheese)
tofu (extra-firm)
pre-made Indian food (in packets)
Good Fat bars 
eggs
soups (low-carb versions)
Keto buns
low-sugar yoghurt (Light & Free has 4g sugar)


You can find other lists online, for more ideas. These are just my tried and true that work for me.

BASIC STUFF
-8 glasses of water a day. 
Nothing works with out it. I have a big travel cup that I keep filled with ice water all day and beside my bed all night. It's about 20 oz size and I refill it 2 or 3 times a day. I keep a back-up one in my car in case I leave it at home.

-Absolutely no white carbs EVER (i.e. pasta, bread, non-keto cookies/treats, rice, potatoes, grains of any kind.

-Absolutely no sugar, honey, sucrose, lactose, etc. Any sweetener with a carb count - gone.
Instead use Swerve sweetener (in most baking sections) or Monkfruit. They're both granulated and feel like sugar. Stevia is fine, too. I just don't like it.

-Consume 2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day (one in the morning, one at night). Eating it off the spoon kinda grosses me out, but I do it if I'm time-strapped. Best thing is to make fat bombs (recipe to follow) and keep them in your freezer. They're sweet a yummy and easy to eat.
You can also buy coconut oil capsules.

-I cook everything in olive oil, coconut oil or butter.

-I keep Keto (sugar-free/diabetic) candy in my cupboard al the time.  I suck on the hard candies, eat Russel Stover sugar free chocolate, or snack on a bag of sugar-free gummies (3g sugar in the bag)




No comments:

Post a Comment